The printer not responding is a problem reported by many printer users of different brands and types. First of all “Printer not responding” problem can happen with any make and model of the printer like Canon, Epson, Ric-oh, Brother, and other printers.
- Reasons For Printer Are Not Responding?
- What Happens When the Printer Is Not Responding?
- How To Fix Printer Not Responding Problem?
Reasons For Printer Are Not Responding?
There can be many reasons for the problem Printer not Responding to your computer. These reasons can cause the Printer is not to respond problems on your PC or computer.
It can be a paper jam, an issue with ink cartridges, spooler services that may need your attention or your printer may not be set as default.
What Happens When the Printer Is Not Responding?
This happens when you try to print a document you command to print but instead, you are getting a “Printer not responding error”.
This may be very annoying and frustrating at times because you are doing everything correctly but still, your document is not able to print and you are facing the same problem again and again.
How To Fix Printer Not Responding Problem?
If you are trying to find some useful solutions to the problem of “Printer is not Responding” you can give the below-mentioned methods a try.
These methods will definitely solve your problem of the Printer is not Responding.
If you are facing the problem of “Printer is not Responding” you are suggested to run a printer troubleshooter. if you are unable to print your documents.
Follow the given steps to troubleshoot the printer and fix this problem:
- Make sure that your printer is plugged into the power supply and is properly turned on. Check the USB connection is it working properly or not or the wireless connection (for the wireless printers).
- If your printer still shows the “Pinter is not Responding” message, download the printing troubleshooter and run it.
- If you are still facing the same problem there is a possibility that your printer may need a new driver.
- Right-click (or press and hold) the “Start”
- After that select “Drive Manager”.
- After selecting those now select “Expand Printers” and find your printer in the list, right-click it then choose the “Update Driver” option from the list appearing on your computer screen.
You may also like to read: How to fix printer not responding error On Windows 7?
This will update your printer driver and the problem will be solved.
Reset The Product
Steps to reset the printer:
- Turn on the printer and disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Wait for at least 15 seconds.
- Now plug the power cord back again into the wall outlet.
- After plugging back in the power cord again reconnects the power cord to the printer.
- Turn on the printer again.
Hopefully, these steps will resolve your issue and you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
If you are still facing the same issue and the error still occurs move to the next solution.
Press the start button and open settings:
- Click Update and Security.
- Select Windows Update from the options.
- Look for any updates available and let it complete the process of updating the window to the latest version.
- Restart your computer once the window is updated.
After rebooting the window check if updating the window fixed the problem.
Select The Print Spooler Service To Automatic
- Press the Windows logo key + R on your keyboard.
- Type MSC in the run box and then press Enter.
- Look for Print Spooler and select Properties
- In the general tab set startup type to Automatic and click on apply from the drop-down menu.
- Restate your computer to see if it fixed the problem or not.
Update The Printer Driver
Follow the following steps to reinstall the printer driver:
- Open the Control Panel.
- From the control panel select the View By Large Icons.
- Click on the Devices and Printers option.
- Now right-click on the Printer option and select Remove device.
- Once you select remove device confirm your device removal whether the printer is disconnected from your computer or not, and then restart your computer.
- After the computer reboots, your printer will be automatically deleted and reinstalled. If it does not happen unplug the printer and plug it back in again to reinstall it.
Choose “Use Printer Online“ Option
If your printer is in an offline state follow these steps to make the status online:
- Click on the “Window + X” then go to “Control Panel” and then click on the “Devices and printers”
- Select the Printer Option.
- Check for the status of your printer. If the printer is in an offline state then it shows “Offline Message”. If the printer is in online status it shows “Ready Message”.
- If your printer is offline set it to online mode.
- After that right-click on the printer and then choose the “Use Printer Online” option.
- As soon as you change the status to online the display should change to Which means your printer is now being ready to use.
Check Wi-Fi or Cable
After following the above steps if you are still facing the problem i.e. if your printer’s status still displays “Printer is not responding” there may be a problem with the printer itself.
You may also like to read: Why is my printer not printing black?
Make sure that the printer is turned on properly and connected to your PC or computer by Wi-Fi cable. Check if there is sufficient paper and ink in the printer.
And make sure that the cover of the printer is not open. Double-check if the paper is not jammed inside the printer.
Check the condition of the paper, And then reload it.
- Replace the paper in the tray if there is any ripped, dusty, wrinkled, or bent paper in the tray. You are advised to use only plain, white, unused paper in the printer when you are facing this problem).
- Make sure that all the paper in the tray is the same size and type. Avoid loading mixed types and sizes of paper in the tray at the same time.
- You can tap the stack of paper on the desk or any other flat surface to align the edges.
- Make sure there are at least 10 sheets in the stack of paper and not more than 25 sheets of paper in the printer at a time; otherwise the printer will not accept it.
- To make sure that the stack of paper is fully inserted inside the printer, gently push the paper guides to snuggle against the paper.
- Try printing again after considering all these steps and make sure that the condition of the paper inside the printer is correct.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Are The Possible Reasons If The Printer Is Not Responding?
There are a few very common reasons behind the printer not responding. To name a few, it can be a paper jam, issue with the ink cartridges, spooler services that may need your attention, and many more.
Why Does It Say Not Responding When I Try To Print?
This happens a lot of make sure that all the cables are properly connected to the computer. It is very important for a printer to work otherwise you will not be able to print.
If you checked all the cables and still the printer is not responding try reconnecting the printer to the computer from the beginning.